Bartenders Hate You

Local barkeeps sound off.

By Adam Erace
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 55 | Posted Nov. 17, 2009

Behind the bar: Tues., Fri., Sat. and Sun. nights.

Michael Mariani, For Pete’s Sake, 900 S. Front St. 215.462.2230.
forpetessakepub.com

Likes: Polite people, girls that drink good Bourbon, 2 a.m.

Dislikes: Rude people, loud college girls, customers you haven’t seen in a long time who come in at 1:45 a.m. and want to hear your life story.

Behind the bar: Wed., Thurs. and Sat. nights.

Katie Loeb, Oyster House,
1516 Sansom St. 215.567.7683.
oysterhousephilly.com

Likes: Customers who take advice. “I’m a trained professional. If we don’t have Miller Light or Cabernet, or whatever it is you normally drink, I can undoubtedly come close, but you need to communicate with me.”

Dislikes: Your cell phone. “If you can’t engage with me, I have 10 other customers that need my attention right now. I’ll get to you if and when you decide to be engaged in the process.”

Behind the bar: Mon. nights, Tues. and Wed. happy hour, Thurs. and Sat. afternoons. ■

Prev| Page: 1 2

COMMENTS

1. eSperanza said... on Nov 18, 2009 at 01:53AM

“Hey u chose the position. Deal with the fucking patrons...its 2009 and only going to get worse to deal with it. Fuck”

2. Anonymous said... on Nov 18, 2009 at 08:00AM

“You think bartending is hard try teaching kindergarten. Those fuckers stagger around barelyy able to walk, spewing incoherent rhyming nonsense, and all they do is drink milk before they pass out. I knew a bartender once that had a stroke at work on a busy friday night. He died on the way to the hospital, and a waitress stole his tip glass. You guys should probably wear a helmet to avoid the possibility of further damage.”

3. Winter said... on Nov 18, 2009 at 09:08AM

“So bar patrons should tip well for a watered-down beer with two inches of head? Please. You have the right to complain about getting a shitty tip if you do your job well, but you don't get to complain about not getting good tips WHEN YOU DIDN'T EARN THEM.

Also, who cares what people order? You get pissed off when people order a cosmo? really?”

4. Bartender Extrodinaire said... on Nov 18, 2009 at 10:04AM

“YES! This was awesome!!
But we all know, some folks will still be ^ssholes and continue to order 1 drink at a time knowing they have 5 drinks to order, or not have their $ ready, or ask for their drink "extra strong" b/c they think they're your new bff!
I could go on... But thanks for writing this article!”

5. grm1 said... on Nov 18, 2009 at 10:31AM

“Okay so just to even the score below is my take from the other side of the bar:

Likes: a bartender that dosen't hate people, it;s rare but the bartender that actually makes you smile after ignoring you for the last 10 minutes is the true test of excellence in the profession. (& usually really good looking)

Dislikes: The bartender that makes you feel like an ingorant jackass if you are a first time customer and you don't know their craft beer menu by heart. Sometimes all I want is watered down Miller Lite I know it isn't "Beer Week Cool" but jeezus not everone sleeps with a tap under their pillow. Light'n up!”

6. iknowitall said... on Nov 18, 2009 at 12:38PM

“to 'esperanza'.... what u said makes no sense. what does the year have anything to do with it. to #3 'anonymous'.... your right about it being just like kindergarteners... except at the end of the day u can physically pick them up and put them in their place. we as bartenders only wish we could do that. to 'winter'.....if you're getting a watered down beer your just ordering the wrong beer. nobody would waist their time putting water into your beer. what would be the point? and two inches of head is actually just about right for most beers so you clearly are an example of our frustration. thanks adam for writing this article, if you ever need a list, no, a book, of other things that bartenders can't stand, email me. i'd love to get the word out. maybe we can get a billboard or something.”

7. Anonymous said... on Nov 18, 2009 at 03:18PM

“Could you tear yourself away from your conversation long enough to wait on me? I just want a draft beer. My money is on the bar, see? I can see the tap handles, yes, I know what I want. Oh, and would it kill you to update the draft list on the chalkboard? It's not a stone tablet, it takes three seconds.”

8. mazza3 said... on Nov 18, 2009 at 03:41PM

“ok, two inches of head is not appropriate for 99% of any beers. if i served a beer with two inches of head i would deserve to have it sent back. a properly poured pint is an art.

and on a larger scale, i have a bit of a problem with this article, though i understand that it will increase the distribution numbers. i wish i could be more sympathetic to these plights, but as an ex-bartender i am curious to know when bartenders forgot: 'the customer isn't always right, but the customer is the customer'? you are paid to give them give them what they want, a cosmo with a rice cracker in it or a high life poured into a goblet. the rude complaints are fully justified, but deal with it. we all deal with a-holes in the work place. if people don't know your beer menu, it is your job to educate them, not judge. the only thing on this list that really got me going is when people flag you down for no reason.

i bet you are the same people who give septa workers shit for being cranky. hypocrites.”

9. Anonymous said... on Nov 18, 2009 at 08:39PM

“For those of you who took the time to rip apart this article and to lay into bar-tending, I'm questioning whether or not you've ever tended bar a day in your life...mmm, probably not. Like any other profession (including yours), bar-tending has its pros and cons. But, unlike other professions, this profession is immersed in customer service and, on the whole, people can be down right rude, ignorant, cheap and harassing...especially when it comes to bar-tenders. In one respect, you're right...we chose the profession so we have to make the best of it. But on the other hand, we're not miracle workers and on a busy Saturday night with dozens of people waving dollars in your face and screaming your name like you're about to throw them a lap dance, worrying about whether or not the head of your craft beer is less than two inches high is the last thing on our minds. Just show a little respect and patience...we'll give the same in return. Bottoms up.”

10. Ben There said... on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:04PM

“It is a Darwinian world out there. Barkeeps are not at the top of the chain. Your delusion is false.
If you do not want to serve then get out of the way. Somebody else will.
If you do not like your lot in life change it. Quit your bartending job and become a plastic surgeon. Go back to Peoria and tell them how mean the people in Philadelphia are. If you are a lousy bartender you will be a lousy _______ fill in the blank. Join the unemployment line or sell pencils.”

11. Barista said... on Nov 19, 2009 at 01:31PM

“I've been a barista for two years. I know comparing a coffee shop gig to bartending is apples and oranges but we share a similar plight at times. That said, complaints about fussy, rude customers are completely justified. I generally think people need to be better at understanding when things get hectic, you are only one person and you're hustling. Maybe one day it will happen. I also agree people aren't very good at tipping anymore, but all too much I see too many people who dole out lackluster service complain the most....”

12. Barista said... on Nov 19, 2009 at 01:35PM

“... However, complaints I find to be completely unacceptable, are ones that align with pure snobbery. Don't hate people for what they want to drink. They're coming to your establishment vs. all of the other bars in Philly so STFU and make the drink, open the bottle, pour the draft. That's your job. If people want a recommendation they'll ask for it. Which brings me to another point. A lot of my friends, and myself even feel hard pressed to ask some bartenders anything because it is apparently such a burden to let me know if there's any drink specials or what's on draft or on bottle when it isn't clearly visible. And if someone wants a Miller Lite vs. some expensive (albeit delicious) craft beer deal with it. Sometimes you can't afford it and I order cheaper so I can tip better. Did that ever occur to some? And seriously...two inches of head....that's just sad and unacceptable.

That said, I have my spots with sweet bartenders and their professionalism doesn't go unnoticed by me.”

13. Five said... on Nov 19, 2009 at 01:51PM

“One of my least favorite things in the world is an unpleasant bar tender, and there are loads of them. When I have a good bartender I tip very well and will return for more service. But a bad bartender will cause me to never go to the bar on that bartenders shift again. So it does go both ways. Also, there is nothing less pleasant then asking what they have on draft and having the beer list rudely pushed at you.”

14. least important person said... on Nov 19, 2009 at 03:53PM

“Seeing that Mike Ojeda is also a part owner of Pub he SHOULD know what time patrons can stay until and thats 2:30 am
According to PA law if you are open till 2 am you have the legal right to stay and nurse that beer till 2:30
I was a bartender before and never had an issue with this because it actually protected me and the owner
In PA the bartender and the owner could be sued up to $250k each if a intoxicated person is served and injured in an accident.
That extra time is a time for people to drink water and maybe give somebody some pretzels and sober up
Phoebe -its just an expression nothing more and nothing less. People aren't trying to be sarcastic or mean, they just realize that you are busy.
have you ever said "we will take the check when you have a minute" to a busy server??
Same thing. Not a big deal
the only realistic gripe on here is from Katie
bartenders make $25 to $35 an hour at a busy place
I have a list of a million people that would take the job and never complain”

15. Anonymous said... on Nov 19, 2009 at 04:42PM

“Oh Jesus. Get over yourselves. I know everyone sucks and you're better, smarter and faster than them, but they're paying you. You're not going to get away from the public as a bartender. Why in the world are you behind a bar if you can't serve a proper drink and accept criticism when you don't?”

16. silverbullet said... on Nov 20, 2009 at 01:10AM

“agree 100%

I've been on both sides of the service industry. And hey, that's what it is, you are there to serve people, and you are the one at work.

customers shouldn't have to modify their behavior to please a server. if you hate the career path you chose, choose something else.”

17. silverbullet said... on Nov 20, 2009 at 01:21AM

“and on the other hand.. my biggest pet peeve from the other side of the fence..

pay attention to where the hell you are. it's ridiculous to walk into dirty franks and order an artisanal cocktail or roll into le bec fin and get pissed that there's no $1.50 cans of schlitz..

18. iknowitall said... on Nov 22, 2009 at 02:22PM

“further proving the skeptics wrong........
i realize if we wanna get technical that 2 inches is a little excessive but it IS pretty close. 1"-1.5" is generally the standard on most beers. i noticed a lot of you disagree. most likely you are thinking of a coors light/miller lt/etc. which makes sense. but that is also not the majority of beer styles out there. as i hate to be wrong, i have provided references to prove my point. check out the following reliable sources.

19. Bull McCaffrey said... on Nov 22, 2009 at 03:13PM

“Get a real job, like firefighting........”

20. ToTheCryBaby said... on Nov 23, 2009 at 10:38AM

“To all of the "Cry Babies" above complaining about bad service and bad bartenders I have an easy solution for all of you. STAY HOME! Simple as that. Don't come out. Be smart and plan ahead. Go to your local liquor store or corner shop grab a bottle of some kind of shitty flavored vodka and a six pack of miller lite and sit your dumb ass on your couch with your dumb friends and watch some dumb prime time sitcom. Staying clear of all of the bar patrons who "get it". You wont have to tip, wait in lines for the bathroom. You can choose your own music and t.v. shows. It works out well for everyone. Keep your cheap disrespectful asses out of our bars. You're ruining it for all of the good respectful people out there. STAY HOME!!!”

21. you people are silly said... on Dec 3, 2009 at 10:53PM

“all the bartenders were asked these questions they did not go to the philadelphia weekly and say hay we hate people you should write about it. it is something the magazine said. if you were asked what you hate about your job or annoying things people do wouldn't you have something to say or are you all fucking perfect people that have perfect lives yet can't act human when you have a few.”

22. Jenni said... on Dec 18, 2009 at 10:23AM

“Yeah, this article makes bartenders look like perfectly reasonable nice people...not. C'mon, are you seriously going to judge someone just because they like to drink cosmos? Or because they'd rather drink a popular brand non-artisanal beer than something fancy? When people go out to a bar, they want to have a good time, not to be judged because what they drink isn't "cool" enough for you.”

23. Quite said... on Feb 15, 2010 at 04:49AM

“This is the first article that i have now come across about bartender complaints that doesnt sound arrogant and i appreciate that. I have been a bartender for many years now and i have come across so much that makes me want to rip the arms off customers and force feed them their drink, glass and all. However as much as i get frustrated, the customer should never EVER see that side of you, its not too hard to fake a smile.
The only thing i dont agree with is this expectation of being tipped, you have to EARN a tip, you dont have a right to it. If you are charging customers for the drink, you shouldnt then expect them to give you more, and have no right to complain about it when they dont, its their money after all. Ive only ever seen this in america, oddly enough.
Oh and it is annoying serving certain drinks at certain times, so long as the bartender isnt openly showing that frustration and are at least pretending to be pleased to serve it, roll with it and let them bitch online.”

24. TheGeneralSaid.. said... on Feb 17, 2010 at 12:21PM

“As the saying goes 'I love Mankind, it's the People I can't stand.' Well, that's why bartending's not for everybody. So if you are independently wealthy and own the bar, treat customers however you want. BUT, if you earn a living serving others, fake some civility, if not friendliness. My main problem is if you can't wait on me right away, at least Acknowledge me with an 'I'll be right with you." And don't roll your eyes and sigh when I ask about any Happy Hour deal or specials that, more likely than not, are not posted anywhere in plain view [except their PW advertisement]. And don't leave me hanging, if I put an empty glass or bottle in the trough, that's the International Distress Signal that I want another drink. Mutually respect each other and we'll all be fine. I do agree 100% that folks who get a bartender's attention and then Don't Know What The Fuck They Want and should be told Once, and then thrown out into the street. They're slowing down the service to Me! Cheers”

25. GenAwe said... on Mar 19, 2010 at 06:50PM

“Check out this web series "The Bartender Hates You" from Generation Awesome. It puts every bartenders dreams on film.

www.generation-awesome.com/bartender/

26. Anonymous said... on Mar 20, 2010 at 01:07AM

“My favorite line to explain why Bartenders have the
patience of a Saint. Whatever job you hay have imagine
your worste client/customer/subordinate/tenant/sales rep/employer ect. drunk
at 2am. That's what makes Bartenders seem to hate customers.
I've been Bartending for 20 years I hate no customers but we live in the bar
not just work in one. The great regular patrons you get blow the curve for the
rest of the first-timers and the perpetual rookies. You have no idea what Bartenders deal with every night. The job changes every minute with every customer,drink and situation. Remember your out to have a good time. The Bartender is not there to solve your problems, give you free drinks or find you a spouse. People say ridiculous and offensive things when they drink it never bothers me. I find this posting site very funny in that the responses just justify
the subject. It's not a Bartender rant just a bitchfest.
If Bartenders get you that upset stay home. More seats for pro's”

27. Bartender101 said... on Apr 27, 2010 at 02:47PM

“It does suck when in the middle of a rush at the bar, someone doesn't know what he/she wants and expects me to stand there while deciding while all the others are getting pissed not at that guy but at the bartender. It also sucks when I attempt to take the money from their hand and they hold it tight to slow you down. It's not amusing. And it sucks when a guy drinks a dozen beers and tips one dollar and expects to be the first one served when he comes to the bar at the same time as good tippers. And don't bang your bottle on the bar for a beer. I have a name and you know what it is. And for you folks that look at me like I'm an idiot when I ask what flavor you'd like, please know that I do not take my mind-reader-hat to work. You're the ones who would change beer if I opened what you usually drink.”

28. laughingmyassoff said... on Jun 5, 2010 at 11:11PM

“Whoever posted about teaching kindergarten (the second post)... I am crying laughing. Funniest thing I've heard in a long long time. I did not expect that LOL. I was on this site because I was curious if bartenders hated when people just order water. On the nights I know I'm the DD I just have to drink water, and I feel HORRIBLE asking the bartender for it :( I make sure I say thank you in a way that says "I know this is terrible but I need your free labor." I still feel awful. I guess there is no getting around it. I don't want to pay for water, but I just feel bad that in a busy bar where they could be making money, they have to take the time to get me damn water. To all the bartenders out there - I swear some of us know how much you bust your ass, and we appreciate it! The end.”

29. Anonymous said... on Jun 30, 2010 at 06:45PM

“To Laughingmyassoff: You can still tip the bartender for your free water. That should make both of you feel better about it.”

30. heidi said... on Oct 6, 2010 at 07:27AM

“I've been a bartender for the better part of a decade and I'm also a customer on the other side. No one likes a bitchy bartender, I know I dont. That being said, we are still people not robots. Imagine if I were to come into your place of business and not only demand to be attended to first but insisted on getting your services for free. How would you feel? I guarantee it would evoke the same frustration we feel. We make our money on our tips not our pay checks; which are next to nothing (my last was less than 100). As a customer you should be advised that the word "TIPS" stands for "to insure prompt service" not "TAKES INSULTS PLEASE STIFF me"”

31. Anonymous said... on Nov 2, 2010 at 05:04AM

“Bartenders, get over yourselves. You are a service that is a result of disposable incomes. You are not pertinent to the lives of human beings. You are not special and no different than my plumber. People pay you for a service. Do that service and stop bitching about it, or change your occupation.”

32. Anonymous said... on Nov 12, 2010 at 12:51AM

“I came across this article because I was looking up further information about bartending; as it's something that I'm looking into doing. I've never bartended before but I know quite a few bartenders and I think it's just common sense that it's a tough job. I agree with the whole "no one likes a bitchy bartender" I've came across some REALLY nasty ones before. But I don't understand why everyone's tearing each other apart? Just like any other job you're going to have good and bad days. People should really stop being so close-minded and look at situations from both angles.”

33. CARLOS said... on Nov 16, 2010 at 01:17PM

“All right people, let's see what we have here. I'm a bartender as well and i can tell you few things i'm agree with: nobody, absolutely NOBODY likes a bitchy bartender, they are easy to recognize since you sit your ass down in a bar, not only bartenders but people in general recognize them.
For all you saying this is a service business, you are totally right, we are there to offer a service, as in any job that requires you dealing with people. Our job is to serve drinks, to educate people about drinks, to listen to them, to suggest them to try new things, to know 100% our bar menu and everything concerning to our workplace. NOW, for all of you that wrote about this "service" thing and we have to deal with it, i have a question: what does "offering a sevice" mean to you? does it mean you can treat the bartender like shit if you want to? does it mean you can bitch the bartender just because of your frustrations?”

34. Anonymous said... on Nov 16, 2010 at 01:32PM

“SERIOUSLY, we are bartenders for a reason, we chose this path and we have to take it anyway, but when it comes about COMMON SENSE, ohh my god, what's going on in your mind? i mean, you have the absolutely right to complain about a bad bartender but you also as a customer, have to recognize when you are wrong. What does it cost you saying please or thank you? do you really know how the beer must be poured when you complain? or you just read it somewhere else without investigating and that's why you complain? before complaining, educate yourself. you have the right to complain if you know what your talking about. We don't hate serving water, we don't hate serving fancy drinks, we don't hate talking to customers; what we hate is people having the wrong meaning of sevice”

35. Anonymous said... on Nov 16, 2010 at 01:43PM

“for the comment # 32 , mate, read at your own words. you are right when you say we are not different or special than anyone else, in this case you cmpare us with your plumber, and you also say we are paid for a service, so my question is: what does service mean to you? does it mean that if you pay your plumber 200 bucks to fix your house, you are in the right to treat him like shit if you want? are you in the right of not saying please or thank you for your services, just because you already paid him and "the thank you" is included? fuck man, nobody is telling you t be friends, but at least be polite and use your common sense. Sevice is not equal to slave, just because you are paying me for a service doesn't mean i have to eat shit from you. if I PAY YOU for a service, does this give me the right to call you ASSHOLE if i want to? anyway, im paying you for a service so i can do whatever the fuck i want with you, can't i?”

36. Anonymous said... on Nov 28, 2010 at 12:53AM

“I've worked as a bouncer in a busy night club, so I understand any complaints you have abut rude customers. But as to the rest of your complaints, who in the hell do you think you are?? You live off the tips these people give you and in return you hate them for it? Make the fucking drink they order, and shut up about it. I don't expect you to put up with rudeness or other bullshit, but pouring someone a cosmo should not be upsetting to you. Christ forbid someone not have the same tastes as you do. I hate to play the customer card, but the fact is that the customer keeps the bar alive and pays your bills. You work at their whim, not the other way around. If you're lucky, a customer will complain to the owner about you. If you're unlucky, the customer will stop coming there, as will their friends, and the whole place will go under. And all your coworkers will lose their jobs because you felt like you had the right to be a fucking asshole to the customer.”

37. Anonymous said... on Nov 28, 2010 at 10:52AM

“Great article!! I have tended bar for 23 years and the quick money and the job being different every evening is a hook and keeps you in it. People are so impatient these days it is sickening but I know that my living depends on quick, friendly service so I am like an actor in a movie and put on the performance of my life every life. I indeed do HATE most people but I make up by not getting around others in my off time. That is just the way it is and if you don't like the fact that bartenders hate you than SCREW you!!!”

38. BadEgg said... on Jan 9, 2011 at 02:32PM

“15 year vet in the bar business, and i read every comment here. Fuck rude customers, fuck your bloody marys at 1am and fuck you arrogant d-bags who think you r so much better than I. I hate certain people who come to the bar where i work, BUT i love the pros who treat me well, drink responsibly, and help make the fun atmosphere. Everyone one of you shitbags that commented on rude bartenders... i agree. If I have ever been rude to a customer, they fuckin deserved it, period. So dont look at me w that confused retarded blank stare when i walk away because ur amature girlfriend ordered some queer fuckin drink she found online, but has no idea whats in it. Get your heads outa ur asses fuckers and watch what the pros r doing, its why they get taken care of and r having a good time...”

39. Maop said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 04:24PM

“what is the big deal about making a bloody after 1pm?
please explain.”

40. heartbartending!! said... on Mar 27, 2011 at 06:32PM

“I love bartending!! The only thing I have a problem with is rude or bad tippers. $5.00 dollars is not a good tip on $100 Dollars all you getto ass mo fo's!!!! (I say it like that so you ignorant people understand) As for all you rude people that think your better than me because you work in an office, F U, because I probably make more money than you do!!!!”

41. Bartending brings the hater out in me said... on Sep 3, 2011 at 07:13AM

“I concur with one exception... Bartending has made me hate ALL people! I can only relate to animals, as while they may exhibit strong defects of character, they are not complete alcoholics, like all of my customers. There is nothing worse than already having little faith in humanity, and having my worst fears confirmed by a bunch of pseudo-sophisticants under the influence of a chemical, that if imbibed by yours truly, would send me to prison with an assault with a deadly weapon charge... Enjoy your cocktail... I hope you choke, c_ _ _!”

42. Anonymous said... on Sep 22, 2011 at 02:34PM

“Its not that the bartender hates everyone, its that the bartender hates YOU and whatever annoying habit orbrequest you have. There are tons of patrons thT are respectful and pleasent, they know what they want, and they make my attention worthwhile with above average tips. yes just like some bartenders are rude, some customers are rude. I would never walk into a car dealership, ask for a free car, complain that i didnt like the car, and call the salesperson an asshole because they couldnt read my mind and tell me what i want, THEN expect them to keep a smile on their face. Treat soneone as you would like to be treated, so waving money in my face, snapping at me for attention, asking me to list all 50 beers we have in atock because you cant read the menu in front of you, etc... if a bartender was rude to you, you most likely deserved it. As a current bartender at Fridays, its hard to be grumpy with hundreds of dollars in cash right in front of you. So its not the b.s. from home making us”

43. womenpatronsareworst said... on Feb 1, 2012 at 12:12AM

“Anyone who is a bartender knows... yes, we have our right to bitch and complain about all the rude and obscene people we have to deal with on nights where they get wasted and treat us like crap. But to the comments like "if you can't handle it, get a new job" or "go make pencils...? (what does that even mean?)" most of us actually have degrees, are very smart and sucks for you but we make WAAAAY more money than you can even imagine. Even when the cheap a**es don't tip. Thank you:) So while you are being ugly and frowning about your horrible night, we are having oh so much fun at our jobs. Good Bye.”

44. ilovedeverymomentofthis said... on May 25, 2012 at 11:37PM

“I am a bartender and I just got off shift a few hours ago (lunch shift, you know when all the wierdos and sewer mutants come out for a liquid lunch). Lucky me right? Lol anyway, I had the worst day today and even after counting all of that glorious green that we all love and DESERVE I was still feeling a bit down on how poorly I was treated. You see on my Sunday shift I busted my ass (fell down and went boom) while trying to meet the demand of a busy bar and actually fractured my knee. Even though I had a few days to rest, my knee still hurts like a motherfucker and what do you know it was back to work as usual (as most of us know there is no such thing as disability, unemployment or insurance for bartenders) even though I was supposed to be resting my knee for 2 weeks according to the doctor, but what are u gonna do right? Gotta make that money!!!! So anyway I told myself this morning "don't worry people will be understanding. They'll be kinder to you when they see the huge aircast...”

45. ilovedeverymomentofthis said... on May 26, 2012 at 12:07AM

“My angry rant continued... "on your leg and see that your quickest pace is that of a snail maybe they won't yell the word "yo" from the opposite end of the bar and swing around their half empty mgd64 bottle as if they've just been bitten by a venomous snake and that the $2 happy hour beer is a matter of life or certain death. Maybe today when I'm counting somebody elses change some asshole won't yell excuse me 5 times and interrupt my counting only to be asked for the salt for his corona that I had already placed in front of him because I'm awesome like that. Maybe today I won't be treated poorly by other human beings". But we all know that dreams don't always come true. Of course nobody gave a shit but its typical. But this article really made me smile. I was just curious to know if there were any other bartenders out there that ever felt like blowing customers away with a sawed off shotgun like the zombies that they are.lol was that too much? If u answered yes go fuck yourself haha”

46. Eimale said... on May 30, 2012 at 12:21PM

“This article is spot on. I've been bartending for almost 20 years. I love the job but finding it more difficult to do. Through the years the punters have become much more rude, demanding, selfish, self entitled and seem not to have been taught the simple art of conversation. My name is not Jeeves, I am a human being and there are a large group of spoiled brats who need to learn how to get me, to get their drinks. Demanding, talking to the back of my head, being overly familiar, waving (with or without money), placing your tits on the bar, whistling, interrupting or name dropping isn't it. It's simple, you ask. And just because you bought a drink doesn't entitle you to behave like a Cretan. Grow up. I don't view myself better than anyone else or my job superior. I just would like to see clientele look at my job with a bit more validity and respect, rather than me as your subservient step n' fetch. Oh, and your .50 or dollar doesn't buy anything but a clean glass.”

47. Career bartender said... on Aug 18, 2012 at 12:41PM

“To the comments about "well we are paying you to do a job so do it with a smile!" You don't understand how tipping works. The federal minimum wage for tipped positions is $2.13 an hour. After taxes that's what, $1.50ish? The state where I live and work has not raised the min wage since 1987! When you buy a $5 beer, basically not one penny of that $5 goes to me. It goes to the owners, to cover costs and make a small profit FOR THEM. My only income comes from tips. That's why in America, that beer costs you $5. In most other countries where servers are actually paid a living wage, that same beer will cost you the equivalent of $10, so the owners can pay the waitstaff--waitstaff which any international traveler can tell you SUCK compared to American servers. We are much more patient and friendly because our livelihood depends on it. So fucking tip me correctly for the service I provide you, otherwise you are STEALING my services, you fucking prick.”

48. sickofitall said... on Nov 2, 2012 at 01:30PM

“I work in Canada in a bar in a small town. In addition to the bullshit that all bartenders deal with add to that dealing with seniors with no lives that need to gossip about you. Crying when the price of a drink goes up by 20cents and the odd one trying to make an ass of you and you can't tell them to fuck off because they will rat you out to the owner. And all for a 5% tip. I have had enough. Love to work in a nightclub where you don't need to endure that that shit.”

49. Anonymous said... on Nov 14, 2012 at 02:21PM

“To all of those that have smart ass comback, please note that the movie waiting was not a joke. And most of us bartenders have no problem takin advantage of those too drunk to realize they were over charged,drinking water instead of vodka, using well alcohol instead of the premium that you ordered
Cause face it after 2 drinks you no longer know the difference. When you choose to be impaired in public, you put yourself in a precarious position. Your bartender is you best line of defense. You should try to be nice.”

50. Anonymous said... on May 24, 2013 at 09:53AM

“We will never educate the mouth breathers... So quit trying. They don't care about 5,10,15 years experience talking.

But for real, know what the fuck you want to orderly be prepared to wait again with that stupid/shocked look on your face. How do you not know what you want after waiting in line for the 3rd time for 10 mins???”

51. NINJABARTENDER said... on Jun 23, 2014 at 01:35PM

“I started "tending in "93 as an American living in Europe(made great tips and a great salary!)and picked up some great circus tricks.('flair bartending') The last 10 years I have been working at my local dive bar. When dealing with customers I am lucky to have the freedom to act as a mirror, when treated well I do the same in return. When treated badly I may mirror back the same, but experience has taught me that the better my attitude the atmosphere stays great. A bartenders overall attitude has a huge affect on how much fun everyone is having. When all are having fun the cash flows in the right direction.(into our pockets)When we get a string of those without social skills and empty tip trays, remember the big picture looks good and if your stack of cash is not enough at the end of the night then maybe there is another gig out there that is a better fit. When bad attitude starts to creep in "cause the jerk is not ready with order and $ think of the $200. at the end of your shift!”

52. most important person said... on Jul 15, 2014 at 09:53PM

“hey least important. A business owner can close THEIR establishment whenever they want. A patron does not control how long they can stay.”

53. bartender school online said... on Aug 20, 2014 at 02:15AM

“I am delighted to be right here in your site. I learned a lot of details about bartending and I am certain my girlfriends will probably be happy to read this as well, will really discuss this to my blog site.

Best regards,
Leonardo @ www.expressbartender.com”

54. Blah blah blah... said... on Sep 4, 2014 at 12:51AM

“These post are very entaining for my sleepless night. I have been a bartender for several years, and recently left to attend personal matters. Wanted to gave my two cents. Number one rule if you are going out make sure you have enough money to tip as well, or don't bother to go at all. For the customers who are the no hassle very polite people who do not leave a tip... Are you kidding me?!?!? My enegry was wasted on you trying to earn my tip, and you leave me with nothing but a smile and nice words. Get the fu*k out of here. I can be the nicest bartender or the worst.
If you came to my bar I would like you to order an expensive craft beer that would be great ( or anything pricy), but more importantly just order a drink I don't care( bud, miller lite, coors,) so I can move on with my life.
For those ordering crazy off the wall drinks you can be sure your drink will be served last after I've made all the other drinks on my list.
1/2”

55. J.D. Salinger said... on Dec 17, 2014 at 07:40PM

“Have your money ready? Yes, I notice bartenders ask for money right away. Do you really think all customers are going to stiff you for the drink? In New York City, I ordered a beer, and the bartender gave me the drink and said "3 bucks". I took my wallet out. "3 bucks," he said again. What's his problem. And you, the author, what's your fucking problem that you hate everyone so profoundly? Get into a different line of work, like jumping off of bridges without the bungee cords.”

Philadelphia Distilling: More Than Bluecoat
By Dan Packel

Luckily for Philly, Rob Cassell found a way to get past early challenges to start turning out Bluecoat Gin in April 2006. That blue glass bottle has become ubiquitous wherever mixologists turn out labor-intensive cocktails.

RELATED: Philly's Top 15 Drinks

PW's Guide to Hangover Cures
By Tim McGinnis

You’re hungover and you need a fix. Let this list be your go-to guide when you need to get through the worst of it. And try to look on the bright side: You didn’t bring home a fugly … this time.

Absinthe Cocktail Recipes from Philly Bartenders
By Adam Erace

The cradle of liberty has become the cradle of the absinthe revolution. But while we imbibe absinthe with Wilde abandon at the city’s best bars, la fée verte can be a bitch for the home bartender that doesn’t know how to charm her.