The Stripping Point

For the exotic dancers in the area, there's no better publicity than Andy Seawell's Unveiled magazine.

By Loren Hunt
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 17 | Posted Dec. 8, 2004

Andy Seawell is standing at the bar at Club Risqu� on Delaware Avenue, an upscale gentlemen's club where the bouncers wear bow ties and a leather-bound cigar menu stands behind each ashtray placed around the bar. He wears a striped polo shirt with a white collar that glows under the black light. Sipping a Coke, he checks out the two seminude dancers treating their respective stage poles to some slow grind-bend-swivel action.

A blond dancer appears behind the bar, and Seawell looks her directly in the eye when she gives his tip-wielding hand the standard boob-hug. Their catch-up conversation is the same one you'd hear between longtime acquaintances in any bar. "I've known her for years," says Seawell after the blond continues her meandering circuit around the bar. "She won't do any pictures, though. She's very shy. This is a good club for her."

Welcome to the life of Andy Seawell, editor and publisher of Unveiled, the Philadelphia area's foremost go-go industry magazine.

Unveiled has been a solid industry commodity since 1993, circulating free copies to roughly 20,000 readers each month at the front desks of nearly 70 area go-go clubs, retail stores and adult bookstores.

Customers read it to find out which clubs to go to, how to behave themselves once they're there and which dancers to watch for. Dancers scan the "Simply the Best" section for their own names, browse advertisements for the addresses of new costume outlets or other clubs that are hiring, and use the photographs as prime fodder for slow-night dressing-room cat sessions.

Club management advertise religiously in Unveiled, both because it's the only industry magazine in the area focused solely on exotic entertainment and because a different club is featured and reviewed each month in the editorial section--which is basically free advertising.

"When I started going to go-go clubs, I was about 18," says the 45-year-old Seawell, who writes most of the magazine's copy, takes the photographs, distributes copies and sells ads. "The first one I went to was some Center City zombie dive, where it looked like everyone there--dancers, customers, all of them--had died about five years earlier and hadn't quite caught on yet. Back then you had no idea what you were getting yourself into when you walked into a club. You'd just see the sign and hope it wasn't a zombie dive."

Seawell started Unveiled at the suggestion of Sophie Ben-Shitta, his editor at Mentertainment, the now-defunct pioneer of go-go industry magazines where Seawell rapidly moved his way up from staff writer to publisher. He was a natural for the job for several reasons.

He'd been writing short stories and publishing essays in various publications since his history-major days at Penn State, where he wrote for the humor magazine and took creative writing classes with popular science fiction author William Tenn. He also owned his own singing/stripping telegram company called Mainline Telegrams for eight years, hiring and managing both male and female performers.

Seawell also had more than 10 years experience as an exotic dancer under his G-string, something he discusses candidly in the pages of Unveiled as well as in person. "That was back before all the 6-foot-tall muscle-men took over. The standards were lower, or at least different," Seawell says of his bump-and-grind years.

Most of Seawell's writing in Unveiled is incredibly honest. His descriptions of club experiences are detailed, dramatic and personal, and his more political editorials are equally opinionated and direct.

In the October 1993 issue Seawell writes of a dancer's banana-eating performance: "One end of a peeled banana was placed on my lap. Faith went down deep on the other end. If I squinted a little it looked like something else altogether--but unfortunately, it wasn't."

In the June 1997 issue Seawell spends several pages painstakingly correcting factual errors published in the area's more mainstream newspapers regarding the Craig Rabinowitz case, in which a middle-aged Main Line man strangled his wife for her life insurance policy, the better to support his favorite Delilah's Den entertainer: "Now and never has there been any 'lap dancing' at Delilah's Den. Summer should not therefore be referred to as a 'lap dancer' ... Delilah's isn't topless because Pennsylvania law requires pasties or latex covering dancers' nipples ... Delilah's truly is a gentleman's club, so there's no reason to put quotation marks around the phrase."

If these discrepancies seem nit-picky, or if the idea of reading a paragraph-long description of someone else's favorite dancer seems excessive, it's probably because the reader is neither a dedicated go-go aficionado, a dancer herself or involved in the executive end of the industry.

But for the thousands who are, Unveiled magazine is an invaluable resource, illuminating the shadowy underworld implications of the go-go industry with a refreshing beam of straight-up, no-bullshit information as well as the simple appreciation the black-lit so often forgo.

"I've had so many girls come up to me and tell me how much being in this magazine meant to them, how much it improved their money, how great it was to be recognized," says Seawell. He gestures to the latest copy of his life's work for the past 12 years: 52 pages of newsprint featuring the skin and smile of a girl who could be any girl--except for the fact that she's featured on the cover of this month's Unveiled.

"She should be proud of herself. She works hard. She's good at what she does, like anyone else who takes pride in their job. Why shouldn't she be on a magazine cover for once in her life? If I can give her that--if I can give that to the hundreds of men a week who go home smiling because of her--then I'm happy with what I'm doing."

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Nov 5, 2010 at 09:53PM

“do you have any knowledge of a movie made for delilah's den featuring, (dancer names) Summer(yes the scandilous one, and at one time my friend), Devin and jasmin. I am the former Devin. It was filmed in LBI , NJ andit was quite a saucey flick..I would love to see this, as I've never seen the finished footage. Would've been filmed between 1993 and 1996. We filmed on a boat, with a crew and an actual, script or shall I say plot..I would like to know where this is ...cause damn I looked good then. Irez, mooney, and Gary Santabarbara were all privy to this advertisement/movie. If you could find and post this..it would be priceless for my memory at least....so I can show my hubby , My hotness!!!LOL It does exist, and I can't remember the name of the company. Hopefully you have the resources.”

2. Anonymous said... on Jan 15, 2012 at 03:10PM

“HI Andy,
I hope you remember me. My dance name was Sonny St. James. I danced from the early 1990's off and on untill 2001. I remember you took some pictures of me. I also remember advertising in Unveiled. I was friends with Tiger Lilly of Philly,Deana Kane,Blake of Risque and Cheri ( tall blond from Cheerleaders ). I also worked with April. I would love to talk to you and the other dancers. Please e-mail me. Hope all is well.”

3. Hailey/Brooke said... on Mar 20, 2012 at 11:08PM

“Hi Andy ! How are you love ? Hope all is well - I see you're still doing your thaaang. I was hoping to find out if you have the resources to get me an old copy of unveiled on which you put me (just me) on the cover. I also won best bunns in the same issue. We did a few lap dances and you took a couple pics of a few of the girls but only I made the cover. I have to tell you, you made my week and made me feel oh so special & I'd love to show some of my friends who didn't even know I was a dancer ! lol. It was from The Players Club on NY AVE in Atlantic City between 2004-2007 I'm thinking 2005 though. Brian Sasso was the mngr, John was an owner. Since then it's been changed to Casey's Cabaret. My dance name was Brooke or Hailey @ the time. I can send you recent pics of myself to help jog your memory. 2 pics of me were in the issue and then i was on the cover. I wore a bright yellow material that somehow wrapped around my body and just covered the important parts ;)”

4. Anonymous said... on May 25, 2012 at 11:11PM

“Hi Andy, its Sonny St. James. My email is zacher.jane@yahoo.com. write me”

5. Andy Seawell said... on Aug 21, 2012 at 09:23PM

“Anyone trying to get a hold of me, I'm unveiled1@comcast.net
I'm still going and always happy to hear from girls from the past. I remember Sonny and Hailey. And I have all the back issues.”

6. Anonymous said... on Aug 29, 2012 at 10:04AM

“Your old homestead beckons you at DoubleVisions.....I suggest you do yourself a favor and get pics of Brooke who performs on Thurs.and Sat. shifts from 10P.M. to closing. she would become your all time cover girl. She is out of the ordinally beautiful and should be shown and be admired. MMMMMMM”

7. Anonymous said... on Oct 25, 2012 at 07:37AM

“I SEE BY ACKNOWLEDGING HER IN THE OCTOBER ISSUE OF UNVEILED AS A 360 BEAUTY IN THE SIMPLY BEST COLUMN.. YOU HAVE SEEN BROOKE FROM DOUBLE VISIONS AND AGREE WITH ME SHE IS A WORTHY CANIDATE FOR A PHOTO SHOOT IN A FUTURE ISSUE. CAN YOU PERSUADE HER TO POSE FOR YOU ?.....I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A PHOTO OF HER IF POSSIBLE !.....MMMMMMMMMM”

8. Anonymous said... on Nov 3, 2012 at 11:26AM

“Andy, are you delivering Unveiled to Sugar and Spice anymore? The October and November 2012 issues have not been there.”

9. Anonymous said... on Feb 6, 2013 at 12:51PM

“I would like to get just the February 2013 copy. How would I do that without going into a club”

10. Anonymous said... on Feb 7, 2013 at 03:02PM

“Does Unveiled have an on-line presence?”

11. Anonymous said... on Feb 11, 2013 at 10:08AM

“The author of this article must be/have been on Unveiled's payroll. Unveiled is just fuzzy pictures of less-than-attractive girls on poor quality paper. Hardly anyone picks it up save the dancers themselves. Customers do not take it seriously. If your club does not carry Unveiled, or sees little of Seawell, ask your club management. Unveiled generates no real publicity and ad pricing is high, so some clubs have pulled their ads and stopped carrying it. Seawell is just a self-glorified strip club junkie and many clubs regard him as a nutcase. Dancers should stop obsessing over Unveiled and, if they are serious about being in print, should research more dignified ways to promote themselves.”

12. Katryna said... on May 7, 2013 at 10:57PM

“How do u contact them.4 the lost&found part”

13. alexandria the great at wizzards 2008 said... on Aug 6, 2013 at 05:49PM

“you did a photo shoot at the old wizzards i think in 2008 with alexandria ,vanity and the other staff....i am interested in purchasing some of the pictures and or the metal twins issue with amber and i....please call me at 856 8316230.thank you alexandria the greatest .....the queen of old school hip hop. i was also the clubs secret dom!”

14. Anonymous said... on Aug 8, 2013 at 02:03PM

“I would like to advertise in your magazine. Im Special K aka Katherine the Great. I am a finance manager that specializing in used car auto loans. I can get dancers all over the tri state area approved for auto loans no matter what your credit score is...No credit, bad credit, slow credit, repos, bankruptcy, my banks finance the dancers that get no paystub and a Job Letter will be acceptable for there programs....Call me at 215-224-0330 to make your dreams come true and drive today out of my lot...”

15. Anonymous said... on Sep 19, 2013 at 09:42AM

“what if you took someone's picture would you need permission to print it in your magazine ?”

16. Miranda W said... on Mar 5, 2014 at 05:59PM

“Hi Andy long time no see! It's Miranda W from Purple Orchird 2,Show and Tell,Daydreams,Tatle Tails 2 and more.I'm trying to reach you to see if I could get some of the pic's you guys took of me from years ago.Please reach me at my e-mail at your earliest time.I would greatly appreciate it! And how's business? Thank you so much I look to hear from you soon and have a great day!!! MIRANDA W.”

17. Sugar said... on May 2, 2014 at 10:48PM