On The Rox

Roxborough’s blue-collar bars offer many sensory delights.

By Brian McManus
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 13 | Posted Aug. 24, 2010

But speaking of double vision, I’m starting to develop a case. The sun is fading. I amble toward the door. At the end of the bar is the guy who made his way over from DeLeo’s.

“You were over dere at DeLeo’s, huh?” he asks, eyes beaming with recognition.

“I was,” I answer.

“Place is wild. It was your first time dere, huh? What’dya think?”

“Pick of the litter. Avoid the women’s restroom.”

Prev| Page: 1 2

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Aug 25, 2010 at 07:08PM

“You can't possibly lump T Hogans Bar in with those s***hole bars, Yes, it's a blue collar neighborhood bar but anyone who goes there surely knows the difference between Hogan's and those other dumps! They have good specials and the wings especially are out of this world. And in all fairness to the other bars in your article, they are not in the same category as DeLeo's either.”

2. Sam said... on Aug 25, 2010 at 08:47PM

“Brian,

Including T. Hogan's with DeLeo's is just flat out delusional to the point of madness (I haven't been to Peck's or Pop's). I lived in Manayunk for 8 years (in Ardmore now for last 4), and T. Hogan's is a great place to grab a microbrew(or a domestic) and scarf down a high-quality (I mean VERY high quality for a neighborhood pub) cheesesteak, wings, or chicken fingers. Jeez, they had blackened catfish fingers on the menu last time I was there (it sounds like DeLeo's has catfood that is black)! They have like 20 TV's to watch sporting events, and cool video games, darts, etc. Last time I was there was a month ago for a quick pop after work, and a few of the regulars were discussing some local zoning issue! They also gave a cordial "Yo" when I took a seat (not overly friendly, but not rude either). Also, there is lots of parking around T. Hogan's (including a private lot across the street).

I mean, seriously...in this case, the comparison is just not valid in the least.

3. Anonymous said... on Aug 25, 2010 at 09:42PM

“Comparing De Leo's to any other bar in the area is unfair. It is in a different league: the Global Champions League of Fukcing-Dreadful Boozers. All of the other local bars mentioned are genuinely good drinkers - especially T Hogans. De Leo's could seriously be in with a chance of becoming a coach/cruise-ship destination for rich tourists who want to experience the shittest bars in the world. Come on Mr Nutter - this needs funding.”

4. Anonymous said... on Aug 26, 2010 at 10:10AM

“DONT MESS W THE CRESS!!!!”

5. Anonymous said... on Aug 26, 2010 at 10:20AM

“u mean there was beer at deleos when he visited. usually its byob and i dont mean bring your own body odor! Thats expected.let the owner know if u have any trash he can use for stools n he will pickem up.you have to be colorblind to play pool ,i think all the balls r the same.if it wasnt for holes like this where would we go for entertainment!!!”

6. Anonymous said... on Aug 26, 2010 at 12:49PM

“HAVE YOU EVEN BEEN TO T HOGANS PUB? YOU NEED TO GO AND HAVE FUN MEET NICE PEOPLE AND HAVE GREAT FOOD...............PLEASE GET A CLUE”

7. Anonymous said... on Aug 26, 2010 at 07:18PM

“Come on...Hogan's is gross. The ladies room there is comparable to DeLeo's for sure! ewwwww...”

8. Anonymous said... on Aug 26, 2010 at 08:18PM

“Thank God someone else has a clue!!!! HOGAN'S IS NASTY. The ladies room is a nasty backed up sewer hole! You might as well just go in there and pull your pants down and piss on the floor! I wouldn't eat ANYTHING from any of these bars for fear of being poisoned. And make sure if you make a pit stop in DeLeo's, you wear a hazmat suit.”

9. Anonymous said... on Aug 30, 2010 at 10:10AM

“The article didn't mention T. Hogan's.”

10. Anonymous said... on Aug 30, 2010 at 10:14AM

“Oh, I see. T.Hogans' grouped with some others.”

11. Anonymous said... on Aug 30, 2010 at 03:20PM

“Thanks for the information. I was thinking about stopping in on my way home one of these days. The people I see hanging around outside always seem so classy and well-mannered. Really, did you really need to review it?”

12. Anonymous said... on May 9, 2011 at 03:03PM

“I would rather be at a place that I feel comfortable then down on Main Street with a bunch of Phony's. These Same Issues Are In Many Other Establishments Besides The Ones On The List. I'd rather D-i-v-e deep than with Shallow people. News flash I have all my original teeth and no cavities and No I don't hang at DeLeo's, but I do frequent the others on the list. I would call The Brick my Home base”

13. Anonymous said... on Apr 4, 2013 at 02:39PM

“I feel like anonymous may 9th just threw out a couple hidden messages with that posting, I just wish I could figure them out...”